|Effective:||January 11, 2005|
Whatis Personal Information?
Personal information is information about an individual. It includes information that relates to your personal characteristics (gender, age, home address, phone number, family status etc) or your health (health history, health conditions, medications etc)
Your business information, when used for business contact purposes (business address, business phone number etc) is not considered personal information and therefore is not affected by privacy legislation
Collection And Use
Personal information collected from patients of this practice shall be limited to that required to
- evaluate your eye health and vision status
- determine future eye and health risks
- determine and recommend appropriate treatment or referral
- communicate with you about your vision car needs
- provide you with eye-care, health or other product or treatment information
- process payment or pursue collection of accounts receivable for services and products received from our office
- communicate with others (other health care providers, third party insurers etc) about your eye health and vision status as appropriate
In the course of providing services to you, your personal information may be disclosed where required or allowed by law. This may include to:
- other health care providers
- insurers or other third party payers you have identified
- regulatory authorities, where such information may assist in the investigation of a complaint or a review of standards of care
- government authorities (Privacy Commissioner, Human Rights etc) who have it in their mandate to access your file
- our practices accountants, information managers or other consultants contracted to provide advise or counsel regarding the administration or management of the practice
- on termination of sale of the practice, to a purchasing optometrist or file storage facility that agrees to serve as trustee of your personal information and to only access this information for the purpose of confirming their custody of your file, unless you initiate contact as a patient
The disclosure of personal information shall be limited to that which is necessary for the purpose for which it is disclosed. All the above noted external parties have the same legal responsibilities as this practice to protect all personal information collected in the course of their activities.
Access And Destruction of Personal Information
You have the right to access your personal information at any reasonable time (for example during regular office hours) and have the right to request corrections to your personal information. This applies to factual information and not professional opinions we may have recorded. Corrections will be recorded on you personal file.
Reasonable safeguards will be taken whenever paper and electronic records are transmitted, destroyed or deleted.
Do You Have Any Questions?
General inquires should be directed to The Alberta Government Privacy Help Desk – email@example.com
|Privacy Contact Officer:||Dr. Jackie Hagens|